What size and format should my book cover image be?
The saying 'to judge a book by its cover' still holds true when viewing a title online. A high quality and informative cover looks professional and improves buyer confidence. Here are our general guidelines for your book cover images:
- Images should be high quality - clear, readable, and no pixellation.
- Images should contain the title of the book and the author name.
- You must be licensed to use the image or own the rights to the image.
- No hateful, libellous, or illegal content will be accepted.
Images accepted in png or jpg format.
- Minimum resolution (for the website): 280 x 210 px
- Minimum resolution (for our Rights magazine): 300 dpi
- Higher resolutions are ideal: the maximum size of an image allowed is 1mb.
Ideal height/width ratio: 4:3
This means that the image height should be 1/3 (or 33%) longer than the image width. For example - 400 pixels high and 300 pixels wide.
NB: The system doesn't change aspect ratio when uploading images, so any that don't match the 4:3 recommended will be accepted, but may not appear at full size.
Do I have to name my cover images in a certain way?
Images must be labelled by their ISBN-13, ISBN-10 or ISSN numbers, i.e. a 13, 10 or 8 digit number with no title names/characters. File type must be .jpg or .png.
Example filenames: 9780000000001.jpg, 001222X7.png.